LETTER TO PARENTS
- Staff Oversight – Our Youth Pastors, Jackson and Alyssa Moore are paid staff members who oversee all Horizon Youth programs and their safety. Not only are Jackson and Alyssa two of the best role models for your child to have, they have both been trained in event management, safety procedures, first aid and mental health first aid. We also have a number of other Horizon Staff present on any given Friday night
- Volunteer Leaders – Horizon Youth is overseen by over 50 volunteer leaders who are over 18 years old. They are young adults who are passionate about supporting young people and being good role models to guide them through their teenage years. They all have their N.S.W Working With Children’s Check and have been inducted in Child Protection Procedures.
- Check-in – We have a check-in system for all young people who attend on a Friday night. Your child will fill out a new person form when they arrive for the first time, so that we can send you all the relevant safety info when they attend, and so that we have your contact details in case of an emergency.
- First Aid – First Aid Officers are rostered each Friday night, as well as Mental Health First Aid Officers. A number of our volunteers are Registered Nurses or completing Medical School.
- A.C.C Safer Churches Policy – Horizon Church and all of its departments are governed by the A.C.C Safer Churches Policy and all volunteers are trained in ‘Safer Churches’.
For any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us below. We are so excited that to meet your teenager!
The energy of all the youth leaders…absolutely amazing! What is there not to love? They’re just the best bunch of people who are loving and growing our children, and our kids get to do life with these wonderful people.- Parents, Local Business Owners
We adore the team…we just love their incredible self-sacrificing heart. They come alongside our kids and invest their heart, time, money…they genuinely care about the future of our kids.
- Parent, Investment Property Company Director
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
What is Horizon Youth?
Horizon Youth is the Youth Ministry of Horizon Church (hz.church). We are passionate about seeing teenagers fulfil their God-given potential and destiny over their lives, while empowering young people to make healthy life choices. All Horizon Youth events and programs are drug and alcohol free.
Are Horizon Youth events supervised?
Yes! Our programs and activities are fully supervised by trained Horizon Youth Leaders. Horizon Youth abides by NSW Child Protection laws. We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment that allows every young person to have a thoroughly enjoyable time while at our events.
Are new people welcome at Horizon Youth?
Everyone and anyone that is in year 6 to year 12 is welcome at Horizon Youth. Our Friday night programs and Life Groups are a great way to get connected, make lots of friends and build a healthy and encouraging support network.
Does Horizon Youth cost money?
No, we do not charge entry to our normal Friday night programs, however there is a weekly free-will donation opportunity for young people to participate in if they wish.
What does a normal Friday night look like?
The programs include activities, a team game, a live band, hosting and announcements, a short word around the offering, a wisdom filled and faith based teaching from one of our incredible leaders, and Life Group.
What is a Life Group?
Life Groups are a small group of young people of the same gender and similar ages that help each other do life! Each life group is led and looked after by a trained Horizon Youth Leader. This leader is then the best point of contact for a parent/guardian.
What do we believe?
Horizon Youth is a ministry of Horizon Church. We are passionate about Jesus and young people. We believe that Jesus died for us and rose again so that we may live our lives to the absolute full. We exist to make a difference in our local areas, being an example of living life to its potential while making wise decisions for our futures.
Horizon Church’s commitment to Children and Young People
Horizon Church is committed to the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations, the associated State based Child Safe Standards and the ACC Safer Churches Policy. We aim to create environments where the safety and wellbeing of children and young people is central to our thoughts, values and actions. We are building an organisational culture where children and young people, families and communities can feel safe and confident to participate in Horizon activites and to raise any concerns they may have.
We believe every child and young person is created by God and filled with potential. We want them to feel supported in the Horizon Church environment. We recognise that children may come from diverse backgrounds and express diverse needs. We will aim within the resource capabilities of our organisation to provide age-appropriate opportunities for inclusion and participation of children and young people in all their diversity.
We see that safeguarding children and young people is the responsibility of all of Horizon Church: the Board, Elders, leaders, staff, contractors, students, volunteers and church attenders.
Horizon Church will seek to:
- Develop a culture of child safety at all levels of the organisation
- Take all allegations or disclosures of abuse or neglect seriously, respond appropriately and report concerns to the relevant authorities. The safety of the child/young person will be our primary consideration.
- Empower children, young people, families and communities to participate in church activities and provide opportunities for feedback relating to children’s and youth programs.
- Value diveristy and promote inclusive practices in line with the ACC Safer Churches Policy and within the capacity of the campus/church resources.
- Screen and engage volunteers who are suitable to work with children and young people, and provide quality supervision, training and support.
- Ensure children and young people who feel unsafe, or wish to raise a concern know who to talk with and feel comfortable to do so.
- Ensure staff are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children safe.
- Maintain the safety, suitability and security of our physical and online environments which children and young people access.
- Embed the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations within activities.
- Undertake regular review of procedures that document how our organisation is child safe in accordance with ACC Safer Churches Policy.
Horizon Church is a participating institution with the National Redress Scheme for Institutional Child Sexual Abuse.
Need to Speak with Someone?
If you have questions about Horizon Church or the ACC Safer Churches Policy, should you wish to raise a concern or let someone know about a situation where you or a young person may be at risk of harm, please reach out to:
- Kids Pator – Ps Jess Pedlow
- Youth Pastor – Ps Jackson Moore
- Safer Churches – Child Protection – Ps Jess Pedlow
They may all be contacted on 02 9521 2933 or at [email protected]
ACC Safer Churches National Hotline: 1800 070 511 (24hr call back)
In an emergency or in the case of immediate danger please call 000.